Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Day Two - NYC (Wednesday)

Day two started out with sleeping in and a train ride into the City.



First stop Grand Central Station



I stole this picture off of Dr. Moss' facebook page, he took it with his phone while we were on the Staten Island Ferry. It's out of place, only because I couldn't get the stupid thing to move, but it's such a cute picture, I wanted to make sure it got put on the blog.

Downstairs in Grand Central, they have a food court, and this is where we ate breakfast. We had crepes that were oh so good. We also stopped here on the way back to North Salem for some strawberry gelato that was divine.

Next stop: Ground Zero and St. Paul's Chapel
They have a temporary memorial sight set up here in the church. This is where a lot of the firemen and policemen came to rest after the Twin Towers were hit. At the front of the church, is where people hung pictures looking for their missing loved ones.

Fireman and policeman badges from all over the U.S.


One of the church pews where firemen would come to rest. The suit that is on the bench is one that a fireman wore while helping clear the wreckage and look for survivors.

Police hats

This flag has all of the names of everyone that was killed during the attack on the Twin Towers.


Burning candles in memory of those that were lost.


An artist took some of the steel from the wreckage and sculpted this cross.


One of the make shift beds that rescue workers would use to get some sleep.



Inside St. Paul's Chapel





Some photos of those that died.



Origami cranes that were sent from all of the U.S.



I was trying to get a picture of the flag and the star, not even realizing that I was getting the couple in the background, but I think they add to the power of the shot.



This is the best view of Ground Zero that we could get, they have everything blocked off due to the construction.



The bull on Wall Street.


Me and Annie with the bull.


The Brooklyn Bridge from the Staten Island Ferry.

Lady Liberty.


Me and Annie with the Statue of Liberty and part of Manhattan behind us.


Annie, Me, Dr. Moss, and his wife Krissy.
They had gone to NYC the night that Annie and I flew out so we met up with them. It was kind of funny to be hanging out with my boss while on vacation, but we had a blast with them. Can you tell it was a little windy on the water? Nice hair in the face huh?


When we first came outside to get some shots of the skyline, there was this creepy guy that kept staring at mine and Krissy's camera's (I had my big fancy one out) I was getting a little nervous that he was going to ask if we wanted him to take a picture of us. All I could think was, there is no way I'm going to hand over my camera to you. Then he started asking where we were from and said that he knew Boise well cause he has family in Rigby. All the while I'm staring at his teeth thinking he needs to see a dentist, and hoping that he will go away so I can ask some other friendly tourist to get a group shot of us. :) Finally he left, and we asked some girls to take a picture of us and in return I took a shot of them so they could both be in their picture.

Manhattan Skyline.
Next stop: Central Park

Columbus Circle

Columbus Circle Globe
Merchant's Gate (one of the main entrances to the park)
This is the Maine Monument that was built to commemorate the sinking of the battleship Maine.

Strawberry Fields
Imagine Mosaic which is a replica of a famous mosaic in Pompeii, this was a gift from Naples, Italy.

Some musicians jamming out in the park.


Cherry Hill Fountain

The Lake


Bow Bridge



The Ramble

Bethesda Fountain

Bethesda Fountain Plaza

Bethesda Terrace

Bethesda Terrace also known as 'The Heart of the Park'.

The Mall



It is so peaceful and beautiful in the Park. I definitely need another trip to NYC so I can spend more time in Central Park. I'm glad I at least got to see some new things that I didn't see the last time I was here.

Carriage rides.
Next stop: Times Square

Times Square



Dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe

Wall of guitars, the picture doesn't quite do it justice.

Some of the Beatles outfits


Empire State Building

Chrysler Building

Next stop: Rockefeller Center


The statue of Prometheus

St. Patrick's Cathedral

This is part of Cherry Hill in Central Park, but again, I couldn't get the picture to move to the right spot.

Do I look like a tourist of what?

We had a great time in NYC, covered a lot of ground, and completely wore ourselves out. I can't wait to go back again, hopefully soon, but next time, strictly a New York trip, so there will be more time to just explore the City.

1 comment:

jeff and alli said...

We should have spent more time in the park when we went to NYC. Maybe next time. There is lots to see there, just wish there was less walking. :) Yeah I know, that makes me a wimp.