Thursday, July 26, 2007

Hello? Is anyone out there?

So who would have thought that a quick little bathroom break would turn into such a big deal. I had a little adventure today while using the bathroom at work. When I was finished using the bathroom, I unlocked the door, turned the handle and pulled on the door. However, to my unbelief, the door would not open. It was kind of a shock because my brain is saying why won't the door open, it's unlocked, it should open. The other part of me was thinking, great, now what am I going to do? So I stood there by the door trying to call Stacy, another assistant who was with a patient just across from the bathroom. I had to call her a few times to get her to respond. I thought that she couldn't hear me, but it turns out that she was just ignoring me. She thought that I was calling from around the hall and she was getting frustrated cause she was busy working. Finally though she answered me and I said, "I'm stuck in the bathroom!" Amid laughing she tried to jiggle on the handle to see if she could get the door open, then I hear the patients dad that she was working on come jiggle the handle. Then I start hearing more and more voices outside the door trying to figure out how to get the door open. Credit cards were being slipped through, screw drivers were trying to be pushed through the bottom of the door, there was discussion of whether or not the ceiling in the bathroom had panels, and if it did then they could crawl up there and pass me something to get the hinges lifted off the door. None of these solutions worked though, the credit card wasn't strong enough, the crack under the door wasn't big enough to get a screw driver through, and alas, the ceiling was sheet rock, not a panel in sight. The problem with the door, which I could see clearly through the crack of the door, was that the cirle part around the bolt had slid out when I locked the door and had gotten caught in the hole where the bolt goes. Therefore trapping me in the bathroom and making it very difficult for anyone to get me out. Eventually they called a locksmith to come and open the door and I was getting quite frustrated with him because he kept trying to unlock the door, I could hear him fiddling with a tool in the lock hole. I kept telling him, the doors not locked it's stuck. Finally after about 20 minutes or so they decided to remove the trim that is around the door, just on the side where the handle is and they were able to break me free. It really was very funny I have to admit, but I'm glad that it didn't take longer for them to break me out of there.

2 comments:

jeff and alli said...

Heidi, that is a great story. I hope the bathroom isn't a gross one. :) So does the office have another bathroom for people to use?

JoshandMegs said...

That is hilarious! Awesome story Heidi. I can just imagine. I would be laughing my head off while trying to get someone to come. ha.